Mia Aplin Rollins
3944 Woodlawn Drive | Nashville, TN | (615) 974 – 6311 |
Born 1995, Nashville, TN
Lives and works in Nashville, TN/ New York, NY
2017 B.A. Visual Arts (Honors) and Modern Culture and Media Brown University, Providence, RI. Phi Beta Kappa.
2014 Brown University Summer Abroad Program, Comillas, Spain
2013 Valedictorian, Honors Cum Laude Diploma, Hudson High School, Hudson, MA
2017 Teaching Assistant for Leslie Thornton
• Helped teach "Intro to Filmmaking" and "Advanced Filmmaking: What's Happening to Narrative?" courses.
• Managed organizational aspects of running the classes, ran equipment.
• Ran workshops on Bolex Cameras, Digital cameras, and sound and image editing in Adobe Premier
• Held office hours for students who need extra help with projects
2015-2017 Department Undergraduate Group Leader for Brown University Department of Visual Arts
• Help students make and strengthen connections with other concentrators, professors, and department alums through organizing department events such as parties, lectures, and exhibitions.
• Provide a means for students to explore the VISA concentration through giving tours and representing VISA at university-wide events
2016-2017 Studio Monitor, Printmaking Studio, List Art Center
• Monitored students during open studio hours, cleaned and organized space and materials
2015-2016 Gallery Assistant, List Art Center
• Help set-up and take-down exhibitions, clean and maintain gallery spaces and studio spaces.
• substitute studio monitor for painting, printmaking, and digital media studios
05/13-08/13 Environmental Management Internship, Nashville Wire Products, Nashville, TN
• Monitored ph and levels of certain nutrients and metals in factories’ discharge water.
• Organized and updated excel spreadsheets on the previous information. Updated all discharge permits.
• Attended an Environmental Leadership Summit on Water Preservation behalf of the company. Reported back to company developments, and developed contacts for the company.
Reference: Robert Murray (HR Director 615-743-2530 email@example.com
2010-2013 Figure Skating Coach, Nashville Figure Skating Club, Cool Springs, TN, Music City Figure Skating Club, Cool Springs, TN, Colonial Figure Skating Club, Acton, MA
• Taught beginner-level group and private skating lessons to children.
ACTIVITIES & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
08/14-12/14 Head Chairman, Community Service Board, Kappa Chapter of the Fraternity of St. Anthony Hall, Providence, RI
• Brainstormed, and Organized community service events for the chapter that benefitted global and RI-based nonprofits including: a Children’s Book Donation Brunch to benefit Children’s Friend, a Pumpkin Spice Party to benefit Birthday Wishes, a UNICEF collection box competition, and a holiday toy drive.
08/14-12/14 House Manager, Kappa Chapter of the Fraternity of St. Anthony Hall, Providence, RI
• Developed and Implemented an incentive-based housekeeping system to ensure all members living in house did weekly chores, and all fraternity members were held responsible for keeping the house clean.
• Implemented a weekly “Kappa Clean-up Day” on which baked goods were distributed to members who kept up with their chores.
08/13-05/14 Shift Leader, Market Shares, Brown University, Providence, RI
• Helped set up and distribute weekly shares of local vegetables and produce to members of the Brown and Providence community through the University’s student-run CSA. Ensured that other students were present and working during their shifts.
2001-2013 USFSA Competitive Figure Skater, Trained in TN and in MA
• Senior level, competed nationally, performed in many shows
2012-2013 Co-founder, Environmental/Outdoor Club, Hudson High School, Hudson, MA
• Ran campaign to promote recycling, built and maintained nature trail behind school, organized trout-stocking trips and river clean-ups.
• Attended Model UNESCO conference in Santarem, Portugal. Gave presentation on water quality in Massachusetts River Valley to students from around the world.
• Volunteered for National Wildlife Federation, helped combat invasive species in Massachusetts. Helped organize and participated in numerous projects to eliminate the presence of Asian Water Chestnut and Purple Loosestrife, including filming and editing a promotional interview.
2011-2013 Art Honors Society, Hudson High School, Hudson, MA
• Painted murals, designed posters and decorations for school events, hosted events that celebrated creativity (i.e. cupcake wars competition).
2017 "Graduation Show" List Art Center, Providence, RI
"Graduation Show" Granoff Center for the Arts, Providence, RI
"Goodnight Baby: Retrospective in Lullaby" Solo Honors Thesis Show, List Art Center, Providence,RI
"Un-Touch-Able" Granoff Center for the Arts, Providence, RI
"Brown University 2017 Juried Student Exhibition," David Winton Bell Gallery, Providence, RI
2016 "North by Northeast" List Art Center, Providence, RI
"Moving Media" Center for the Creative Arts, Providence, RI
"It's a Show!" List Art Center, Providence, RI
"In Fact, However, and Yet This" List Art Center, Providence, RI
"Conceptual Proportions" List Art Center, Providence, RI
"Brown University 2016 Juried Student Exhibition," David Winton Bell Gallery, Providence, RI
"Spring Arts Festival" Student Creative Arts Council, Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, Providence, RI
2015 "Beautiful Little Fool" Solo Show, List Art Center, Providence, RI
"The Border of Whimsy" Visual Arts Concentrator Exhibition, List Art Center, Providence, RI
"Brown University 2015 Juried Student Exhibition,” David Winton Bell Gallery, Providence, RI
"The Girls,” Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, Providence, RI
"Student Showcase,” List Art Center, Providence, RI
2014 "Exposition,” Universidade Pontificia, Comillas, Spain
2016 Imperfectly Elsa
2015 The Sketchbook 9(1), St. Anthony Hall, Providence, RI
"Pinned-Up, Pushed Down," Blue Stockings Magazine, May 26, 2015, Brown University, Providence, RI
Cover Page, The Sketchbook 8(2), St. Anthony Hall, Providence, RI
2017 Joslin Award for Excellence in Art, Brown University, Providence, RI
M.H. Hicks Prize, Brown University, Providence, RI
Marlene Malick Sculpture Award, Brown University, Providence, RI
2016 Brown Arts Initiative Grant, Brown University, Providence, RI
2016 Marlene Malick Sculpture Award, Brown University, Providence, RI
Julia Sloane Memorial Fund, Brown University, Providence, RI
2015 Saint Anthony Hall Educational Fund Grant, Providence, RI
Julia Sloane Memorial Fund, Brown University, Providence, RI